Monday, January 4, 2010

A New Year

It's funny.
Every year, the countdown to New Years has always been a bit stressful for me - a time of accounting. I'd flip open my journal on New Years' Eve, just hours before countdown, trying to make sense of my year, write hopeful promises for the future. I always craved that sense of a fresh start.

This year I didn't - the pure mundaneness of that day and night was soothing. I have more hope? contentment? peace? with my current life.

Then again, I just figured out my vitamins have a rather sizable chunk of caffeine in it. Could be why I'm so peppy.

Anyway, for my update: I'm still having some shoulder issues, but currently okay; my big news is I'm applying for a PhD through American's International Relations program!!!! I won't find out I'm in until mid/late Febuary but I'm hopeful.

Meanwhile, I spent a great Christmas with my whole family (baby Eli including, he is so wonderful!!!!) and spent a decent amount of time working on understanding each of my family members, always an undertaking. (It's like intellectual and emotional relational exercises everytime I go home.)

Now, this week: International Student orientation (I'm helping out) and a Teaching Conference on Friday. Also my roommate, Ana, has her little brother and sister here for Orthodox Christmas, Jan. 8th, so we have a tree set up and everything. I'm so glad, though it looks like they're just as much night owls as Ana!

No comments: