Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Same, same - but different

This above phrase was bothersome last time I came to Thailand. You'd point to something you wanted, but in a different color or size - and something in a totally different size/color/shape would be brought "same, same". It was annoying, but not a big deal.
Now it is driving me crazy - only it's not a Thai thing. It's an American thing. Today at lunch, once again, I got shut down when I tried to explain Buddhism here is not really 'orthodox' but more folk, with animism and other influences.
"Oh but Christianity and Judaism are the same way - etc. etc."
"- Buddhists don't really have a canon like we do."
"Oh but that's just like how some people follow certain things, etc. etc."
Don't they see it's insulting to Buddhism? To all religions? That they all must develop and express themselves in the same ways? Why can't Buddhism be unique?
I suppose they think I'm inferring somehow Buddhism is inferior because it's diluted or something, but I'm just trying to describe reality.

This is a constant frustration actually. In the effort of trying to be tolerant, there become topics that can't be discussed or critically examined. Criticalness means disagreement and how dare we even examine things we don't understand?
But then how are we even to begin to understand? How do you find out any perception or idea without posing a question, listening to the answer and then following up to check your understanding?

How can you be wise if you will never seek to actually peer through another's eyes - by getting into their brain?

No comments: